Thursday, March 22, 2012

Protagonists and antagonists annoyances

I hate it when my characters won't do what I want them to. I tell my protagonist to be mad enough at one of my antagonists to want to wipe them all out, and all I get is "Why?". Well, obviously, because they're evil.
My character doesn't really care about that, because she already has my other antagonist to be mad at. And she definitely has good reason to be mad at them, considering they are the reasons for her family all being dead. That's pretty harsh.
But the antagonist that I need her to also be mad at, to wipe out, hasn't ever hurt her. In fact, they are effectively wiping out the guys she already hates. So what's a writer to do?
The only thing I can really think of is to have the first bad guys (the ones she already mad at), threaten her to get rid of the other bad guys. I just don't know if that's a good enough motivation. If anyone who reads this has any suggestions (if anyone reads this at all), I'd be open to anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment